Sunday, June 19, 2011

CONFESSIONS OF A 15# PURSE

My right shoulder continually hurts. It wakes me up at night. I really notice it if I have been working in MRI all day and use the computer for everything. But I can't help but wonder if this pain it isn't related to my purse and all of its "indispensable" contents.  I have tried to get a smaller purse, but I ALWAYS end up going to a big bag because quite simply, I have too much stuff. It isn't like I have toddlers and have to carry all of their gadgets around. I have no excuse.  I dumped out my purse on the x-ray table (a very boring day with no patients and nothing else to do and a nice surface to purse out my junk on). Obviously I have an abundance of stuff, such as:

  1. 5#'s worth of lipstuff. Because really what if I want pink gloss instead of neutral? What if I want lipstick instead of gloss in red not orange? What if I need flavored Chapstick instead of plain Carmex? What happens if the all day lipstick doesn't really stay put all day? And who doesn't need the oh so yummy "Menthe Lip Tint" for a quick fix?
  2. What about all of the receipts? It is likely that I don't need every receipt from the daily Diet Coke run @ McDonalds. But what if I need to return stuff? What if I need it to compare to my bank statement? I have too many random pieces of paper. Grocery List's, reminders, BART tickets, gas receipts, several "to do" list's(which include cleaning out purse) unwanted business cards and flyers rudely left on my windshield that get thrown into the mix. I could be more diligent about purging all of this, but it is the least of the weight in my purse!
  3. Mints, gum, more mints, Fiber One Bar, just incase I need a snack. Random wrappers from consumed "stuff"
  4. 3#'s of loose change that in a hurry gets thrown to the bottom of the bag.
  5. Miscellaneous stuff such as: toothbrush and toothpaste, floss, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, nail file and sunscreen samples. My work badge, my x-ray markers. ipod, sometimes ipad.  Calculator, several pens, and I must have the little cleaning kit for my glasses (if it is summer add sunglasses and contact case to the list, plus reading glasses so I can read if I need to put contacts in, damn having bi-focals!).  Numerous recipes clipped from magazines torn out from waiting room magazines (they said I could! and yes, someday I do plan to try them all!)
So you can see why I could not possibly be happy with a small purse. What would I do without all of my vital stuff that no doubt and one time or another I will need? And I forgot to list my cute little pill box with meds like Aleve, for when my shoulder really hurts? I am a good one to travel with because I have anything you might need (probably in duplicate). I have no idea how girls with little purses do it!

6 comments:

Ashley King said...

I have to clean out my purse like once a month or else it gets so full of random stuff. You had a lot of interesting things in there! LOL! For receipts, I highly suggest investing in a NeatWorks scanner - makes my life so much easier (scans & stores them for you).

Jo-Mamma said...

You are crazy! I'm laughing because I just switched purses the other day and wondered the same thing about my contents. Chicka read this and said, "She really needs to come back with her family...she must be bored!" ha ha

Anonymous said...

How funny, my shoulder has been killing me (my buffulo bag) full of practically everything you counted! I found a cheaper crocheted bag at Target & it was so hard to deside what to disgard! Must run in our genes---although Mom always carried small purses, but she hated to shop so probably didn't need much for short trips----Love, Mom

Malma said...

Amen distance!

Anonymous said...

Yahoo, Your purse containts look like mine used to look. Yes my shoulder was killing me too. I tried carrying it under my arm or on the other shoulder but it just did'nt feel right so I continued to suffer until I said NO MORE!!!
Well one reason is that since we moved I can't find my purses . I got a real steal on a tiny purse at no other place then K Mart for $7 bucks and it's all I need. The things we think we have to have.
Have a happy week and look forward to seeing you. Love Susan

Shawn wiscombe said...

time to change purses! We only have like 7 million purses, right next to the shoe store in our closet! Haha! JK, they keep you looking classy!!